Kimber Mfg., Inc. a rapidly growing and leading manufacturer of fine sporting firearms with locations in AL, NY, NJ and MT has an immediate opening for an experienced Senior Design Engineer located in our new expansion site in Troy, Alabama. In this role you will design and develop complex, non-derivative new products and support improvements to these products in the first years of production. Evaluate products, parts, and processes for cost efficiency, quality and reliability with a strong focus on brand reinforcement. Proven firearms design experience is required.
- As part of a cross-functional team, provide expert technical leadership for Product Introduction and process improvement projects as related to Kimber’s NPD program. Support the development and execution of project milestones, resource requirements, budget and timing.
- Define product configuration and part geometry using 3-D CAD software. Develop and manage complex mechanisms. Create fully dimensioned drawings using GD&T.
- Utilize best practices, including DFM, DFA, and stack analysis; interface with manufacturing, process engineering, and vendors to ensure designs are optimized for cost, quality, and performance.
- Use advanced analysis tools to fully qualify high risk areas of the designs, such as non-linear finite element analysis and design of experiment techniques.
- Develop technical product specifications and validation test plans.
- Outline and execute empirical testing to verify concepts, ensure reliability, and refine component design.
- Manage bills of material and track component status.
- Support manufacturing during initial production of products introductions.
- Participate in business initiatives for non-routine aspects of assignment and overall business improvements to reduce overall new product development project timing and costs.
- Assign project related tasks to entry-level engineers and technicians, and monitor progress.
The successful candidate will possess at least 5-10 years of relevant experience.
- Expert Solidworks user.
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T.
- Solid understanding of configuration control principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge of stage gate product introduction methods.
- Knowledge of statistics and statistical software a plus.
- Must be organized and maintain accurate and neat records and files.
- Able to communicate effectively.
- Able to function and work in a team environment. Capable of working without supervision.
- Adept at working with management to influence/facilitate change and achievement of Kimber’s objectives.
- Exceptional interpersonal/analytical/organizational/presentation skills, as well as verbal and written communications skills.
- Manufacturing experience managing both multi-site and multiple state locations, including proven experience implementing start-up locations.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent engineering discipline
- Preferred: Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes health and dental insurance, 401k Savings Plan, and paid time off.
IMPORTANT: Include your full name and the position you are applying for on the subject line of your email. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.